Minister Vulin Visited Sremska Mitrovica Barracks
Saturday, 23.6.2018 | News
Defence Minister Aleksandar Vulin visited today a new facility for the accommodation of combat vehicles in the "Boško Palkovljević Pinki" barracks in Sremska Mitrovica.
– All that was destroyed and damaged in the NATO aggression, but also after years of deliberate neglect and planned destruction and downsizing of the Serbian Armed Forces, will be renewed and put into operation, Defence Minister Aleksandar Vulin said, as he has visited today a new facility for the accommodation of combat vehicles in the “Boško Palkovljević Pinki” barracks in Sremska Mitrovica.
– The Ministry of Defence and the Serbian Armed Forces have provided the necessary funds for everything that is required for the Armed Forces to arrange its military infrastructure. The Armed Forces must keep its materiel in the hangar, where its place is and thus extend its life span, but also for the members of our army so that they can perform their day-to-day duties in a simpler way and in better conditions, the Minister of Defence said.
He added that the Serbian Armed Forces guarantees stability and peace in our country and the region.
– Safe and stable Serbia is a guarantor of the safe and stable Balkans, and it is precisely this policy that the President of the Republic of Serbia and Supreme Commander of the Serbian Armed Forces, Aleksandar Vučić, is carrying out, very often with difficulties and, on the other hand, without those who comprehend and accept this policy understandably, and therefore strong military is guarantor of strong peace policy of the Republic of Serbia, the defence minister said.
Brigadier General Željko Petrović, Commander of the 1st Army Brigade, reminded that in 2015, in the Sremska Mitrovica barracks, construction of several hangars began, in response to demolished facilities during the NATO aggression
– The first three were completed last year, which enabled the accommodation of tank units of the 15th Tank Battalion, located in the barracks in Sremska Mitrovica, and the fourth hangar has been completed these days, which will enable the accommodation of modern combat vehicles. This allows us to store the materiel we have in a better and more quality way and the operational capabilities of units located in Sremska Mitrovica to be maintained at the level that guarantees a safe and secure future for all citizens of the Republic of Serbia, General Petrović said.
Tomislav Janković, Speaker of the Municipal Assembly of Sremska Mitrovica, expressing his satisfaction with the visit of Minister Vulin, pointed out that the city and the Ministry of Defence make joint efforts to solve all tasks of common importance.
– For our part, we are trying to help for the conditions of the work of the members of the Serbian Armed Forces in our city to be on a higher level. The role of the Serbian Armed Forces as an important employer in our city is of great importance, with the unavoidable security contribution that it provides to us, which showed best in 2014 when the Serbian Armed Forces gave immeasurable contribution to defending the city against natural disasters during the floods in Sremska Mitrovica. As a sign of gratitude, the City of Sremska Mitrovica has already determined the area where the apartments will be built for members of the Armed Forces and other security structures, and this will be our contribution members of the defence system to feel better and have better living and working conditions, Speaker of the Municipal Assembly of Sremska Mitrovica pointed out.
The contractor at the recently completed hangar, the fourth one in the “Boško Palkovljević Pinki” barracks, is the Military Construction Institution. The investment value is RSD 35 million. The surface area of the building, like the previous three, is about 900 square meters.