4th Army Brigade
The purpose of the 4th Army Brigade is to conduct missions and tasks of the Serbian Armed Forces through the development and improvement of operational capabilities and through achieving the required availability of forces to conduct operations and assist civil authorities in addressing the consequences of natural disasters, technological and other disasters.
- 4th Army BrigadeCommander, 4th Army Brigade, Brigadier General Slobodan Stopa
- 40th HQ Battalion
- 41st Infantry Battalion
- 42nd Infantry Battalion
- 43rd Self-propelled Howitzer Artillery Battalion
- 44th Multiple Rocket Launcher Battalion
- 45th Air Defence Artillery Missile Battalion
- 46th Tank Battalion
- 47th Mechanized Battalion
- 48th Mechanized Battalion
- 49th Logistic Battalion
- 410th Engineer Battalion
The 4th Army Brigade comprises infantry, armoured, mechanized, artillery and air defence artillery units, engineering and logistics units and signal units.
The 4th Army Brigade comprises the Brigade HQ and 11 battalions. The command is situated in Vranje, while the units are stationed in Vranje and Bujanovac.
Brigadier General Slobodan Stopa is the Commander of the 4th Army Brigade.
Tasksn of the 4th Army Brigade
The 4th Army Brigade is tasked with:
- Preparation and engagement of the units in securing the administrative line with Kosovo and Metohija and Metohija and control of the Ground Safety Zone,
- Participation in multinational operations and international military cooperation,
- Training of the commands and units to conduct assigned tasks,
- Preparation and engagement of the units to assist civil authorities in addressing the consequences of natural disasters, technological and other disasters.
Background of the 4th Army Brigade
The 4th Army Brigade was formed on June 30, 2007 by merging 78th Motorized Brigade and parts of the 549th Motorized Brigade and 52nd Mixed Artillery Brigade.
On that occasion a ceremony was held at “First Infantry Regiment of Prince Milos the Great” barracks in the town of Vranje. The barracks was named after the glorious Regiment from Vranje, whose traditions have been continued by the Fourth Army Brigade.
Day of the Fourth Army Brigade is marked on January 31. On that day, in 1878, Vranje was liberated from Ottoman slavery. That day is also marked as the Day of the First Infantry Regiment of Prince Milos the Great, the unit which was stationed in barracks in Vranje. The First Infantry Regiment was formed in 1897 and it existed for more than five decades and it participated in five wars. The Regiment ceased to exist in 1941 after the German attack on Yugoslavia
Besides being marked as Vranje Liberation Day, January 31 used to be marked as the day of its patron saint (Saint Athanasius the Great). These holidays were marked by the members of the First Infantry Regiment of Prince Milos the Great, because on January 31 they celebrated the name of their patron saint as well.
After the Second World War, there were several regiment/brigade-size units in Vranje. The traditions of the First Infantry Regiment of Prince Milos the Great were revived by the 78th Motorized Brigade.
The pride of the Fourth Army Brigade is its Memorial Room located at “First Infantry Regiment of Prince Milos the Great” barracks in Vranje, which saves from oblivion the memory of soldiers, policemen and citizens of Vranje and Pcinja region who died in all wars since 1878. The Memorial Room is open to all visitors.
Address: Proleterskih brigada St., Vranje
Phone: +381 (0) 17 414-102
Fax: +381 (0) 17 7412-769